Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Han Solo in Carbonite


Day One of Build

Remember how Han Solo pissed off Jabba the Hutt and Boba Fett had to go after him, but Vader got him first, and turned him into a block of cheese...er...carbonite before turning him over to Fett to become a wall orniment in Jabbas Palace? No?? Hmmm....well I can't help you much more then.

Anyhow, this is a full scale reproduction of the piece seen in the movie. It will be made out of fiberglass, wood, and resin. The wood has all been CNC'd by my amazingly talented CNC buddy Dane...who you'll hear me mention often. I don't cut anything anymore. Dane rocks. The fiberglass is a casting I was able to obtain to finish off the piece, as were the resin bits you'll see later. I'm a firm believer in letting those who are good at what they do....do it. I'm a great manager and a good builder...but if someone is better at building something or has already done it. No sense in re-inventing the wheel.

In the next day or so the main box will be built and ready for Captain Solo to be attached!

Week 2 of Build

Ok, so I haven't been able to update this as much as I'd like, but I have been moving on it.

In the last week or so I've been able to not only build all of the walls for this piece, but get the rough box done. What is next it to put all of the remaining structural supports in place, put the front piece of luan on, as well as the all of the quarter round in place to give it that nice curved edge look. Then it's moving on to making Captain Solo a permanent part of the collection!




1 comment: